Sunday, May 31, 2009

Week Six's Long Run

18 miles.

18 miles?

18 miles.

I had the route mapped, had a tough week before hand and was looking forward to getting this run over with so I could get on with my easy week with light runs. I drove ahead and stashed snacks and water so I didn't have to carry any.

I left the driveway after a good stretch and started out trying to slowly jog only to realize that running was very painful in the back of my leg. It was as if someone was stabbing me everytime my foot hit the ground. I actually felt pretty good after stretching.

Probably a bad idea, but I decided I would continue on. I could still walk a fast pace and probably just wasn't warmed up enough. I'd try again in a little bit. About a quarter mile more and i tried again. No luck. Still pain. It was frustrating to feel this pain when i ran and not when I was walking. I kept going and kept trying and kept feeling that same pain. The first six miles were all near my home. After fours miles i started getting pain in the front part of my leg and then I felt the most concern since it seemed to be getting worse. I decided it was time to head home and give in.

Shoulders slumped, feeling very frustrated and a little beaten I started heading back home. I noticed the storm clouds that were in the distance were now right on top of me. It was probably good considering if i continued i might get caught in the rain. Then it was probably really good because the pain seemed to worsen with every step.

Yea...within a mile of my house the clouds opened up and fell upon me. It started with a sprinkle and gradually grew worse until there was a downpour right on me. I'm not sure I've ever felt any greater defeat than to limp a mile home in the pouring rain. I cried. I probably should have ducked under a tree and called for a ride, but I had trouble controlling the tears.

I decided if it still hurts in a couple of days then I'll call the doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment