Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Week Five Update



The week itself was pretty good. In fact, it started out fantastically strong and extremely hopeful. I ran my 16 miles, I had three great practice runs scheduled over the week and felt more ready for those than ever. To end the week I had a 5k race with my sweet mother to look forward to.

Tuesday brought two workouts-The six mile regular run and then a light run of Saturday's course...more of a very easy run/walk. Almost through the course, I got the worst pain in my left shin. Horrible enough to make me tear up. Ouch doesn't even cover it. At first I just assumed it was some sort of cramp that needed more stretching.

Stretching didn't help.

So not wanting to over do it, I took a rest day the next day and skipped a scheduled eight miles. That night I was still in pain so I took another rest day knowing I had a rehearsal for a musical I've been cast in and the race on Saturday.

Over the week the pain got worse, walking was even hard, sitting with the leg propped was not good. I stretched, iced and advil'd everyday. Saturday arrived and I made the decision to do the race in pain. I stretched first, I warmed up and tried not to push too hard. I slowed to walk a couple times and finished in under thirty minutes....the time clock was not displayed very well and I have yet to find a list of finishing times.

I walked and walked after the race and then stretched and stretched. The rest of the day still hurt and I still had the long run for the next week to look forward to. Normally, I would be excited. This time....notsomuch.

This week's pic is courtesy of my arrival home after the long run....stay tuned to my next post on the long run.

Forecast: Stormy run leaves me drenched.....

No comments:

Post a Comment