Monday, June 1, 2009

Injury

Boo.

My running is taking a forced break.

Diagnosis: Shin Splints.

Prognosis: Tearful.

I can not tell you how painful and frustrating shin splints can be. I can't walk, run, sit still, sleep, think....all I feel is pain. The doctor gave me pain drugs and I remembered after taking them that I hate pain drugs. I don't take pain drugs well at all. In fact, I tend to get sick even with a full stomach, get left with that mediciney head feeling and still feel the pain. Yuk!

I have been doing lots and lots and lots of reading of the causes, prevention and caring for/of shin splints. I completely understand the need to rest it so it can heal. Resting my leg is probably the hardest thing ever. My yard still needs mowing, house still needs cleaning, kids must be fed, don't even get me started on Walmart trips.

At first, when the doc said shin splints I was a little relieved to hear that it wasn't anything more severe. When he said no running for two weeks....at least, I honestly teared up and almost started crying. He started in with some story of a buddy he knew that...yada, yada, yada....all I could hear in my head was: No running for two weeks? That sets me back! Don't cry, don't cry, don't cry.....I felt completely devasted. I actually think I went through a period of depression from between the last attempted long run until a couple of days after the doc appointment when I realized that:

Things really could have been so much worse.
This is only temporary.
I still have 167 days until my chosen marathon.
I will continue, even if I have to start over.
If I can't make my chosen marathon, they are others.
I have gotten so much encouragement.
I can still do other forms of exercise to keep me on track.

Not so bad, and not the end of this blog. It will.......run on. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment